- Slit the sausages and remove them from their skins, then chop them into small pieces.
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the onion and fry for 5 minutes, until softened and lightly browned. Stir in the sausages and fry until lightly coloured.
- Add the carrot, then stir in the wine, stock, tomato purée, and season.
- Bring to the boil, then simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes until thickened. Taste and season. Set aside.
- Put the butter, Gluten Free flour and milk in a pan.
- Gently heat, whisking, until thickened and smooth.
- Add a sprinkle of freshly grated nutmeg, season, and then simmer for 2 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 190C/Gas 5/fan 170C.
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Add the pasta, stir well, then cook, uncovered, for 10-12 minutes, until tender. Remove from the heat, stir in the spinach and, when just wilted, drain well.
- Tip half the pasta into a shallow ovenproof dish, about 2.2 litre/4 pint, and level.
- Spoon over the sausage sauce, then cover with the remaining pasta.
- Pour the white sauce evenly over the top and sprinkle with the cheddar.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- Leave for 5 minutes before serving.
Tip – Make ahead
The joy of this dish is that it can be made ready to bake several hours ahead, so it’s perfect if you are having friends round or want to get the cooking out of the way early.
454 g pack of Hodgins Gluten Free pork sausages
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion chopped
1 large carrot , grated
150ml red wine (optional)
300ml vegetable stock
3 tbsp tomato purée
For the Sauce
50g Gluten Free flour
freshly grated nutmeg
500g rigatoni or penne
200g fresh spinach
140g mature cheddar , grated