the festive feast
Makes: 3 – 4 Sausage Rolls
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- 1 sheet of puff pastry
- 100g grams of Hodgins Sausage Meat or 3 Hodgins Jumbo Sausages (removed from skin)
- 1 tsp. of mustard
- 1 tsp. of Fresh oregano & thyme
- Salt & pepper
- 1 egg
- Sesame seeds
For the Relish:
- 100g red onion
- 200g tomatoes
- 30ml vinegar
- 70g sugar
- Layout the sheet of puff pastry on a baking tray.
- Place the Hodgins Sausage meat in a bowl or if using Hodgins Sausages firstly remove the sausage meat from the casing and then place in the bowl. To the Sausage meat add 1 tsp of mustard, fresh oregano, thyme and season lightly.
- Place the mixed meat stuffing along the centre of the pastry. Use some egg wash (1 beaten egg) to brush one edge of the pastry sheet. Lift the opposite edge of the pastry and fold over the meat to line up with the egg-washed edge (folding it over on itself, as if you were closing a book!).
- Brush the top of the sausage roll with the remaining egg wash and sprinkle some sesame seeds over the sausage roll and bake for 15 minutes in the oven at 180 degrees.
- When golden in colour, remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 – 10 minutes. Cut the roll into 3-4 smaller sausage rolls and serve.
- For the Relish, chop the onion into thin slices and chop the tomatoes into cubes.
- Add the chopped onion and tomatoes to a pot along with the sugar and vinegar and simmer for 30-40 minutes. Serve the Relish with the Sausage Rolls, the remaining Relish can be stored in the fridge in a sterilised sealed jar.